Climate Change is another reality and it isn't going to stop unless we change our civilized ways...and soon! Today, building is a huge source of carbon emissions, both in the manufacture of homes and offices as well as the heating and cooling of them. Fast Cob! compares to conventional building practices in terms of speed, but there's no comparison when it comes to carbon-emissions, toxics creation, after-life disposal, heating/cooling, and length of service life.
Check it out:
Fast Cob! (vs. conventional)
- Zero emissions: we don't use machines! Our building sites are safe and fun for all ages (conventional building uses loud, dangerous machines that emit carbons and toxics both on-site and off)
- Sand, clay and straw melt back into the earth when the building is abandoned (instead of multiple layers of plastic, glued chipboard, gyproc, toxic paints, etc.);
- Fast Cob! acts as a thermal mass: it can be passively heated by the sun, and wood stoves can be placed against the walls! When the heat source stops, the walls then release heat maintaining a comfortable temperature. In the summer heat, it naturally cools but literally sucking the heat out of the air (conventional buildings are typically heated by natural gas (CO2 and toxics) and electricity (which is created by burning gas, oil, or coal [CO2 and toxics] or dams [flooding/tranmission lines]; solar and wind can't keep up to such high-consumption use)
- As long as a roof is maintained, Fast Cob! buildings will last 3 or more centuries (vs. decades at most for particle board buildings today).
And this year, we have at least 3 different opportunities for you to learn our Fast Cob! technique:
- June 25-July 2, 2016 *** Covering all the Basics: Mixes, Bricks, Design, Fun! ***
- July/August, 2016 *** Kiddie Kob! Family Fun making Cob, Jam, and Art ***
- August 13-20, 2016 *** Focusing on Finishing: Plasters, Paints, and Floors ***
- September 10-17, 2016 *** Learning to Live Off-the-Grid ***
Warning: these workshops are filling up fast!
This year, we can offer real beds for those that don't want to camp in their own tent. For a modest extra fee (camping in your own tent is included in our workshop package), you can choose between:
- our Guest Prospector Tent on a cedar platform with a Queen-sized bed, chest of drawers, and tarped in kitchen with running water, or
- our Guest Cob House with single or Queen bed that overlooks our luscious garden.
Until midnight on March 31, 2016, you can enjoy any of our 6 day intensive Learn-to-Build-from-the-Ground-UP Fast Cob! workshops for only $675...that's 25% off our regular rate.
Please also note that women and families are especially encouraged to apply. Fast Cob! is safe and fun for all ages, genders, and orientations. Last year, our ages ranged from 9 to 68, while previous years saw 4, 6, and 8 year olds having the time of their lives.
Here is some more feedback from past workshop participants:
"Wonderful, challenging, thought-provoking, exhausting, delicious, green, delightful in every way."
"My experience at the workshop was empowering and a wonderful learning experience in natural building and collaboration."
"Instruction was excellent. Dave knows and lives cob and this is evident in his responses to questions posed by workshop attendees."
"You always had thoughtful and insightful answers to any of my questions...I liked how the pace was determined by the participants."
“It was empowering! I really feel like in a short week like I can get going on building my own cob house!”
“Learning what we needed to know as we put it to practical use rather than spending a lot of time on theory was a useful approach for me.”
If you've been wanting to build your dream but don't want to go into debt or harm our planet any further, here's your chance to make that change!
Simply go to cob.lasqueti.ca/workshops and fill in the form at the bottom. I'll be in touch soon to help you on your way...
Together, we can survive Climate Change...but let's not delay any longer!
You'll also find free online Fast Cob! training videos here...heck, you may not even need to take a workshop to get yourself building with ease and joy! Let's spread the word so this planet doesn't burn us all up...